West River Mission Statement
To edify, encourage, and make evident to our students that accomplishment is the journey of life, not the destination.
Every situation has a positive aspect; it is our task to find it. Approach each obstacle with focus, determination, perseverance and an optimistic attitude. Achieve this, and success will be yours.
– Sensei Kenny Lim
West River Karate’s 10 Steps To Competition Success
- Never underestimate your opponent.
- Work on your weakness until they become your strengths.
- Remember that a great effort is usually the result of a great attitude.
- Dedicate yourself to a mighty purpose.
- Win with humility, lose with grace.
- Do not ask to be deprived of attention and discipline – these are the tools that shape success.
- Work to improve your moral and spiritual strengths as well as your physical ones.
- Remember, when you’re not working to improve, your competition is.
- Do what has to be done, when is has to be done, and as well as it can be done.
- Talent is God-given – Be humble! Fame is man-given – Be Thankful! Conceit is self-given- Be careful!
– H. Jackson Brown, Jr. “A Hero in Every Heart”
Dojo Kun (Dojo Rules)
- Be moderate and courteous.
- Be righteous and have a strong sense of justice.
- Be modest in your word and actions.
- Respect others.
- Karate-Do is a life time study.